Thursday, January 30, 2014

Default Desktop Crashes in Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy) as a VM VirtualBox Guest

I created a guest instance using Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy) in Oracle VM VirtualBox. When I log in using the default Ubuntu Desktop environment, what I got was a nearly blackscreen after a "compiz crashed" message. My suspicion was that the video card is too  primitive and did not have a reasonable OpenGL support.

To fix the issue, I installed Gnome desktop and logged without any problem in using the Gnome Desktop environment. Since the default desktop environment crashes and I could not get a terminal window to do anything, I had to exit to the console to do the installation. The steps are as follows,


1. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to the console screen
2. Log in on the console screen
3. Install Gnome desktop environment, by running
         $ sudo apt-get install gnome
4. Kill and restart X or simply reboot the machine, by running
         $ sudo reboot
5. When the Graphical Login screen appears, click on the little
   icon to the right of the user name, and choose any of Gnome
   desktop environment, (Gnome Classic, Gnome Classic ...)
6. Then log in. 
You should be in without any problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment